About Me

I've got a web page! Yeah . . . www.pforparrot.com

Monday, February 18, 2013

Handfeeding Using Plastic Squeeze Bottles




Seems there is a video on youtube with someone using a plastic ketchup or mustard bottle to hand feed chicks.  This type handfeeding method is new to me.  Got me to thinking though, why not try it?


I LOVE MY LITTLE PLASTIC BOTTLES

I went to ebay and started shopping for plastic bottles that would be easier to handle. I found small squeeze bottles that people use for cake and candy decorating.  They were food safe and cheap. 


I bought some see through, squeezable bottles, snipped the tips to the right size hole and fell in love.  I have videoed me using bottles to share with you.   I have never had chicks this clean using the old method.  I have not had to rinse off their crops one time!  No more daily scrubbing parrot feathers for me!


I mix my formula as usual, pull the formula up into the bottle, soak the bottles in the right temperature water and feed.  I have learned that the tops need to be on tight to get good suction.  I have also learned that if you put too much water into the bowl, the bottles will float . . .duh.   You only need enough water to cover the amount of formula you have in the bottles.  I never go anywhere but from the kitchen to the dining room table when feeding, but I imagine that traveling with a capped bottle of formula would be convenient.


I used colored tape wrapped around the bottle to distinguish one from another. This keeps me from getting confused later on and using the same bottle for more than one bird. They each have their own.  I really don’t like the idea of spreading bacteria between chicks if, heaven forbid, there is a problem with any one of them (or clutch).


I use a thermometer to get the water the right temperature. I feed at 103-105 degrees. Too cold, they don’t want to eat it. Too hot and you can “crop burn” your chick and need veterinarian help. Just right and all is well. To me the extra step of using a thermometer has been worth it. I have never had crop burn.


You can disinfect the bottles using a bleach solution of 5-10 percent per volume. Just don’t soak them too long. A quick soak is all you need to do. You also can run them through the dishwasher. Or from what I’ve read, the microwave is great. You have to make sure the bottles are wet. The inter-reaction of water to microwave is what sterilizes. 2 minutes are recommended if you choose the microwave method.